Coyaba River Garden and Museum
Located at the Shaw Park Estate, Shaw Park, Ridge Road, Ocho Rios, is a small but nice museum and botanical garden, the Coyaba River Garden and Museum. The museum covers the history of Jamaica from the pre-Columbian time of the Arawak Indians up to the present day of the island's development. It also exhibits many cultural influences that have contributed to the creation of “the one”, which brought the national motto of Jamaica, “Out of Many, One People”.
The real splendor of this attraction in Ocho Rios is the beautiful and lush 3-acre garden, located 1½ miles south of Ocho Rios. Visitors will be guided on a 45-minute tour and will be introduced to the flora and fauna of Jamaica. Inside the Coyaba River Garden and Museum, they can also find crafts and gift shop and a snack bar.
What Will You Find at the Coyaba River Garden and Museum
Inside the Coyaba River Garden and Museum in Ocho Rios Jamaica, visitors can find the following:
- A genuine water garden, with its serenity being fed by the streams that rise on the property
- Exquisite Jamaican Spanish architecture
- The spectacular Mahoe waterfalls
- A Museum of Island History focusing on the forgotten Taino/Arawak culture of Jamaica's first inhabitants
- A Shop of island curios and crafts, rums and coffees
- Ysassis Lookout Point which offers breathtaking views of the Bay of Ocho Rios and the cruise ship terminals
- The shade of giant banyan and cedar trees
- Blue Mountain Coffee served in a cut-stone courtyard
- A natural aquarium filled with koi carp, mullet, snappers and turtles
Coyaba River Garden and Museum at Any Season of the Year
A new encounter with beauty, curiosity, and nature awaits tourists in each of their visit to Coyaba. Newly flowering plants and trees mark the seasons. The reflection of sunlight on the water also tells the time of the day. Take a guided tour through the garden, amidst meandering streams an ponds. Climb the Mahoe Falls and dip in the pool at the base of the waterfall.
Guests can also hold special events at the Coyaba River Garden and Museum in Ocho Rios. The garden offers a professional planning service for group functions and parties, as well as organize weddings, gala dinners, cocktail parties, picnics, and more.
Images below: Swimming lagoon (left) and lush and beautiful garden (right) at Coyaba River Garden and Museum.
These photos from Coyaba River Garden and Museum are courtesy of TripAdvisor.